Virginia Department of Health Homepage Protecting You and Your Environment
Administration Newsroom Local Health Districts VDH Programs Health Topics A-Z Employment Opportunities Contact Us spacer image
Updated: 19-Nov-2003
VDH Homepage



Services provided include:

  • Children's Specialty Services

  • Communicable Disease Control

  • Dental Services (for children only)

  • Environmental Health Services

  • Health Education

  • Medical and Nursing Services

  • Nutrition Services

  • Vital Records

  • Services may be free, flat fee, or chargeable on a sliding fee basis. This page is designed to not only inform you of available services, but to provide information you need to know regarding your eligibility for service.

  • No Service that we normally provide will be denied an individual because of a physical handicap.

  • All information you give us will be kept confidential.

  • We recommend that you call ahead to make arrangements for services.

Flat Fee Services:

  • Flu and pneumonia shots (unless patient has Medicare or Medicaid to pay for this service)

  • Overseas travel immunization + an administrative fee

  • PPD (TB skin testing)

  • Sewage disposal and well permits

  • Birth and death certificates


Free Services: (no proof of income required)


  • Blood pressure screening

  • Testing of sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS (medicines may be chargeable)

  • Nutritional counseling

  • Medicaid screening for nursing homes

  • Teen Clinic - a clinic designed specifically to meet teenagers' (teens up through the age of 18) needs. Held after school hours, and provides confidential counseling regarding sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, free pregnancy testing, and other health issues including immunizations, weight control, etc.

  • Childhood immunizations

  • Skin testing for those who are contacts of a suspected or confirmed tuberculosis patient.

  • Tetanus/Diphtheria immunization for adults (vaccine is free, but there is an administrative fee charged)

  • Investigation of animal bites/rabies control.

  • Public food permits, and regulation of public food establishments, and tourist establishment sanitation.

  • Investigation of contagious diseases, food and water borne disease outbreaks.

  • Speakers Bureau providing community health educational programs to interested groups.


Free Service: 

( proof of family's gross income required)


Women, Infants, & Children (WIC) supplemental food program designed for pregnant, post-partum and breast-feeding mothers (up to 6 months), as well as their infants and children up to the age of 5 years, with food packages that help provide needed nutrition. The WIC program is a non-chargeable program.

  • Proof of income, identity, pregnancy (if pregnant), and Virginia residency, are required in order to qualify.

  • Proof of identity: for the mother may be either a driver's license, Social Security card, or Medicaid card. For an infant or child proof may be newborn's hospital bracelet, foot prints, hospital crib card, birth certificate, Social Security card, or Medicaid card.


Sliding Fee Services:

(Charges for the following services is on a sliding fee basis. The percentage you may be asked to pay is based on your family's gross income and your family size)

  • Maternity Clinic

  • Family Planning & birth control

  • Pediatric Clinic - well child care

  • School physicals

  • Children's Specialty Services (specialized diagnosis and treatment for childhood handicapping conditions and for persons of any age with hemophilia, cystic fibrosis and certain neurological conditions)

  • Tuberculosis medications

  • Pregnancy testing (women over 18)

  • Dental services (therapeutic and preventive care for children only)

  • Treatment of head lice


Proof of Income may be: 


  • Pay stub showing year-to-date 3 months worth of pay stubs 

  • Income tax return or W-2 form 

  • Medicaid card 

  • Written statement from employer 

  • Support letter (letter showing that someone provides you with food and shelter) 

  • Statement of Social Security of income received 

  • Statement of child support, or support check 

  • Statement from employment office of unemployment or of benefits you are receiving


What to bring for a clinic visit:


  • Health insurance information (if you have insurance)

  • Current Medicaid card

  • Proof of identity (if coming to WIC clinic)

  • Bring proof of your family's gross income (if proof of income is needed and you do not bring it, you are given 10 days from the date of your visit to bring it in. Failure to return this proof will mean that you are left with the full charge fee to pay.)


At the time of visit for a sliding fee service you may:


spacer image
© Copyright 2004. Virginia Department of Health Email Web Manager.
spacer image